CWS Home > Best Gift Home
Alternative Gift Holiday Fairs
Looking for a meaningful respite from the annual holiday shopping frenzy?
Organize an Alternative Gift Fair for your congregation or organization. It's easy, personal, and there are no crowded malls or stores. And it's a great way to support the work of Church World Service!
Here are a few tips:
- Form a team – 2-4 people to organize the event and 10-15 volunteers to staff it.
- Choose a location, date and time. Set aside 4 hours for the fair, plus setup and cleanup time for volunteers.
- Invite your congregation's ministries to provide displays or sell refreshments.
- Invite other non-profit organizations, such as a local food bank, to participate.
- Let your CWS Regional Office know about your fair; they can provide materials on the work CWS is doing around the world. Call toll-free 888-297-2767.
- Display our Alternative Gift Fair Poster to advertise your fair date and location.
- Order additional posters and other fair materials.
- Download and print gift vignettes to include with gift cards for customers to give.
- Download more promotional materials.
- Email or fax a press release about your alternative gift fair to area media and other congregations or groups.
- Email or fax a Public Service Announcement to local radio stations.
- Post your alternative gift fair date and details on your congregation's website and in e-Newsletters, in your local newspaper's upcoming events section and on web-based community calendars offered by most local TV and radio stations.
- If other non-profit organizations are participating, ask them to spread the word through their communications channels as well.